Want an even more flavorful pork shoulder? Pour some of the remaining pan drippings over the sliced pork and top with chimichurri sauce, cooked onion and apple slices.
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 4-lb bone-in pork shoulder roast
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 apples (such as pink lady or Fuji) cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
For Chimichurri Sauce:
1 cup flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbs fresh oregano
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 300°. On the stove top, heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to Dutch oven and heat for 1 minute. Season roast with salt and pepper and place in Dutch oven to brown all sides.
2. Add apples and onion. Cover and place in oven. Roast for 3 hours.
3. Pulse to combine all chimichurri ingredients in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
4. Remove roast from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice and serve with chimichurri sauce.
1. The chimichurri sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days when stored in a non-reactive, airtight container.
2. Pour some of the remaining pan drippings over the sliced pork to add even more flavor before serving. In addition to the chimichurri sauce, top with the cooked onion and apple slices.